No Walls, No Water, No Electricity

I absolutely love when people question my living "conditions", why I don't have doors, walls, or *gasp* electricity!? How can one survive without an electric bill every month!?

It's fun actually, like camping in a wooden tent, as my mom puts it. It's different than the way most people live, without county water, without electricity, without walls. You wouldn't believe that you can actually survive without those things!

So let me break it down. I live "Off-grid", our house is powered by solar, and a generator. This gives us the power for everything we could possibly need, computer, internet, laundry facilities, lights, and even a HUGE tv. As far as the water goes, we are on catchment, which of course means that we "catch" our own water when it rains. A filtration system comes into play with that, giving us clean water to shower in and wash our dishes, for drinking water we haul everything in. Lastly, the walls, I mean common, we live in Hawaii. There really is no reason for walls around here, besides to trap mold and make everything smell musky.

That's that. It's how I live, and I love every bit of it. I will always prefer this way of living, it's much simpler, cheaper, and resourceful!

If you were given the choice, what would you prefer?

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

1 comments:

booturtle said...

I love the sound of the way you live. I'm enmeshed in a suburban hell to be honest. My man and I would love to break free and have a more unconventional (but historically common) way to live. However until market conditions turn around there is no way we can leave the massive box we are shackled to call home. *sigh* Do you have pictures anywhere of your wall less home? I'm very intrigued.

Thanks for checking out my blog. And how did that fondant cake taste?

Post a Comment